Ohio Valley Philosophy of Education Society (OVPES) meets every year in the fall for a two-day conference, and publishes an annual peer-reviewed scholarly journal, Philosophical Studies in Education. Because many of the doctoral programs in philosophy of education are located in institutions in the immediate vicinity of the Ohio Valley, the conference is regularly attended by prominent and influential scholars in the field. At the same time, OVPES conference welcomes both graduate student presenters and independent scholars and regularly puts on conference events that provide mentoring opportunities, publishing workshops and job search symposiums designed specifically for these groups. OVPES is a proud member of the Council of Social Foundations of Education (CSFE).
OVPES Mission Statement
OVPES endeavors to advance research and teaching in philosophy of education. Specifically, the organization strives to
- Promote philosophical treatment of the problems of education,
- Promote critical dialogue between different philosophical approaches to education with the organization of annual conferences,
- Advance teaching of the philosophy of education in institutions of teacher education,
- Cultivate fruitful relationships between scholars in general philosophy and philosophy of education,
- Cultivate fruitful relationships between scholars in philosophy of education and those in other areas of educational research, and
- Support promising students in the field of philosophy of education.
The proceedings of the OVPES conference, journal and administration follow a constitution that has been democratically ratified by the constituent members of the OVPES community. Particular policies and procedures can be discussed and amended in the business meeting which takes place on the final day of the annual conference. Please see the OVPES Constitution here. For editing purposes, a docx version is here.
History of OVPES
For a brief account of the history of OVPES, see here.
Photographs of the University of St. Mary of the Lake courtesy of Valenti Builders.